Saturday, December 28, 2013

Night Stands

After I finished the armoire, the little IKEA nightstands we had gotten after the fire looked so puny and white, which is kind of strange for me to be saying since my go-to color for painted furniture has always been white.  Although recently I've been painting stuff blue, so who knows anymore?
 
Anyway, we had a pair of unfinished chest-of-drawers that at one time were our night stands, and I was going to paint them white, but somehow that never happened.  After we started our addition and had to cram our bed into the porch room, there was no longer room for these, and eventually they ended up being stored out in the unfinished addition, which meant that they were not in the fire.
 
So they've been sitting up in the purple room all this time since we've been back in our house, and now that we have a big old brown armoire in our temporary bedroom it seemed like the thing to do would be to stain these things to match.  So I did.  I used the General Finishes Gel Stain, started with "Georgian Cherry" so that it would have a red undercurrent like the armoire did, and then over top of that I put "Antique Walnut" followed by a few coats of satin finish wipe-on polyurethane, and here's how it turned out:
 

I've been dying to use these handles that came with our kitchen cabinets (which we ended up not using) for something in our house, but everything else I've done recently looked better with knobs.  You can't really see them in the photo above, so here's a close-up:


This staining business has turned into a disease.  Next I want to make a headboard and stain it, since apparently I'm actually capable of doing this sort of thing.  Ughh..... I absolutely HATE getting all yucky and dirty and sanding things and getting stuff all over my hands - HATE IT!!!  And yet I'm sitting here thinking of more things to do.  Well it's fun to see the end product so hopefully my luck will hold out and I'll end up with a nice headboard too!  Stay tuned...

No comments: