Sunday, July 31, 2011

Gutters Finished!

I'm happy to report that Doug has finished installing the gutters.  He did a beautiful job on them and is now I'm sure feeling quite relieved to have finally finished something that he'd been putting off for a long time.  I am happy about the water no longer hitting and wearing out the porch roofs from the roof above, no more lack-of-gutter induced erosion around our house, and no more sprained ankles caused by these grass-covered areas of erosion for me!  And there won't be huge amounts of water pouring all over me and my bass whenever I go to or from my car during a rainstorm.  Not anymore.  Yaaay Doug!

Here are some photos of his excellent handiwork:



I think the house looks a little more finished now with the gutters on.  And now we'll be able to do some foundation planting too.


I like the way he's got the downspout from the gable gutter on the right heading directly into the porch gutter.  And the porch gutter's downspout goes into an underground pipe so there will be no erosion on that hill


Doug decided to use brackets to attach the gutters to the house instead of the big long screws that go across the gutter.  He thinks those are more prone to coming loose.  Hopefully ours will be less prone to coming loose because I think this was a lot more work.  But sturdy is good, especially with gutters.



He spent a lot of time relocating and declogging these pipes which come out on the other side of the driveway.  He installed these pipes under the driveway about 15 years ago and they just sat there in a state of neglect.  I'm glad they are finally being used for their intended purpose.

Now I'm actually looking forward to getting some rain so that we can enjoy the greatness of his gutters.

3 comments:

Bibi Karpel said...

That architectural design is very creative. Yes, gutter water can be harmful if neglected. There seems to be a lot of pipe work involved and I commend you for that.

Cyndy said...

Thank you Bibi! Doug does like to get creative whenever possible, especially with things like gutters. It was a lot of work and I'm glad he finally did it because now we don't have to worry about the various issues associated with not having gutters.

Unknown said...

I’m so impressed with Doug’s work! The gutter system's design is quite solid. So, there’s no worry for you about overflowing roof when there’s a heavy downpour. But you still have to regularly check and clean it, so that you’ll be able to fix it, just in case it was clogged or anything. Thanks for sharing!

Meghan Bowers @ Gutter Dome