Tuesday, August 19, 2008

first the ankle, then the foot

We were making excellent progress with the siding on the front of the house. My sprained ankle was healing nicely but on the first day that I was able to go back to work on the house, I somehow managed to injure my other foot. The x-rays show what looks like a little broken piece just above my arch. I have to wear a soft cast that looks like a ski boot for six weeks. I can barely walk in this thing, not to mention climb a ladder, so that really sucks. Poor Doug is going to be stuck working on the house all by himself through the end of September. The timing is especially bad because putting up siding works much better with two people, and now I can't help at all. But Doug is doing a great job without me. The front siding is almost finished. It will look great when the trim boards are all up.

4 comments:

Kellyann Brown said...

OUCH!!!!
I bet he is worried about more than the siding!

Cyndy said...

I'm the one who's worried! He totally wore himself out this week. But he's getting some good work done even though I'm not there most of the time.

Kurtis said...

Looking at the photos again, I've noticed a serious flaw in the siding. Your window casing needs to be installed first. The siding should resolve into the casing. This is especially important at the top of the window because water running down the wall will inter behind the window casing without a drip cap and flashing.

Cyndy said...

Kurt - I haven't been very fothcoming with the fact that our house is very plasticized, partly because I am slightly embarrassed about it. I'm definitely a little more old-school than Doug is. Most people can't tell that the siding is vinyl and the trim boards are Azek until they are about a foot away. I'm very relieved that the siding isn't shiny. The door, at least, is real wood. So when it warps I'm sure I'll hear a big "I told you so!" It should be okay under the porch though. I'm not too worried about that.