Sunday, January 11, 2009

Crazy Kitchen

We started installing our kitchen cabinets yesterday with the excellent help and guidance of Doug's friend Buc. It's pretty complicated with all of the levelling and measuring and we are lucky to have someone who really knows what he is doing helping us.

We weren't originally planning to have yellow as a background color but since my attempt at using a neutral gray was such a miserable failure we switched. I guess I just don't like neutrals.

The yellow is a softer color than it appears here. It transitions very well from the yellow-green in the living/dining room and we are using it in the back hallway as well. I'm glad the cabinets look so nice because we have a huge pass-through opening. The color coordination is coming along nicely now. It's all a little brighter than I had originally envisioned, but I think it works. That yellow looks good with all of the other colors I like.

We picked out our countertop material two days ago. Please remember that I was the one, during the planning phase, who said "What's wrong with formica?" Apparently formica isn't good enough for one of us, so we are getting this instead:

It is indeed flabbergastingly beautiful, but one of us is going to have to pay a lot more attention and wipe up immediately all of the orange juice that one of us accidentally tends to spill and not wipe up. New house, new habits!
Why are we so broke?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A new kitchen ::drools::

SingLikeSassy said...

New kitchen ::drools::

A Concerned Citizen said...

Wow! I like the golden color a lot and think that it goes fabulously with the color of the new cabinets. And those countertops -- wow. Just wow. Hopefully you (or "one of you") likes to cook and this beautiful new kitchen will be well-used.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cyndy,
Thanks for stopping by my blog, Color Sizzle. I really try to get people thinking out-of-the-box when it comes to using color. I think your blog is amazing! What an adventurous and courageous journey you're on. I look forward to checking back to see your finished home!

Cyndy said...

Thanks for your comments, or compliments I should say! Everything has taken so long up until now that I'm almost not ready for everything that's happening now. It's exciting, but kind of bewildering too! I can't believe I'm actually going to be living there with those cabinets one day soon!

Kellyann Brown said...

beautiful marble!

I know you will love it everyday!

Cyndy said...

The countertops are in. They are so beautiful I practically cried when I saw them! This from the girl who asked "What's wrong with Formica?"