Thursday, October 1, 2009

tile, fans, and trim

So what have we been up to lately? We finally finished putting up the ceiling in the back porch. That was a job and a half, or more actually. It took forever, but it looks really nice.

The tile people came and did our kitchen backsplash. So all that's left in the kitchen is putting on the Bona Traffic floor protection, the moulding around the tops of the cabinets, and the baseboards.

That's Doug's sink above. He can be as messy as he wants there because I have my very own sink too. The company that makes it named it "Orca" because it's so huge.

I selected all of my knobs and pulls and they all arrived last week. I'll be installing them very soon I hope.
I finally found a fan style that Doug LOVES and which also satisfied my need for a low profile light. I got talked into having a fan with a light, which I have never liked the idea of because I think most of them are ugly for one thing, and nobody would believe how much lower the ceiling would end up feeling until we actually installed a fan last week that the fan store guy had talked us (Doug mostly) into buying. It was completely unacceptable so we meticulously repacked it and took it back.
This is what I found instead and Doug immediately latched onto it and found a couple of new ones on eBay. It's a little more modern than the general style of the rest of our porch, but it's plain enough that I think it will look okay. It looks an awful lot like an airplane propeller but the light at the bottom is great and doesn't stick out at all.

It cost a bit more than we were planning to spend, especially since we needed two of them. I'd been planning to buy a cheap brown fan for my bass room which would match the ceiling lights, but after we spent all that money on the fancy fans for the back porch I decided to paint a fan that Doug just so happened to have. He bought it twenty years ago, and it was still new in the box. He doesn't remember why he bought it. He's a hoarder so he probably bought it because it might come in handy one day. This time he was right!
This was a very inexpensive project. I had a can of rustoleum that I was going to use to paint some ceiling light trim that happened to be the right color. I also had a can of brown paint that I'd been thinking about using for the window trim in the pass through of the kitchen. It was in the reject section of the paint department at Home Depot and it only cost a dollar. The color is perfect, but I got my money's worth on the paint quality. Behr paint is absolute crap, or at least the paint in this can was. I'm glad I was only using it for fan blades! Anyway that fan is going to look pretty awesome for only a dollar more than the cost of a can of Rustoleum.

This week we've been putting up the trimwork on the back porch which is a very slow and tedious process. Oh, and I've mowed the grass twice in the past two weeks. Nothing new there.

5 comments:

Bowie Mike said...

Every time I read the title of your blog, I get that Billy Joel song in my head - "It's foam core fantasy..."

Glad to see the progress on the house.

Cyndy said...

Hahaha, that's pretty funny! Somebody else thought it sounded like the name of a band. I chose the name in an effort to try to be enthusiastic and yet remain true to my sarcastic nature. I had trouble believing we could do it, and it didn't even start out with us doing all the work. I knew that it would take much longer than Doug could imagine. And now it's hard to believe that we are so close to being finished. The whole thing has been kind of unreal.

Bowie Mike said...

When we first bought our house in Bowie, we picked up a welcome kit at City Hall. The kit included some promotional item that said something like, "Bowie. Now that's living!" My wife and I got a kick out of that. Bowie Living was sort of a derivation of that slogan.

I imagine it will feel good when you're done. That's a long project, and it must be hard to stay motivated. My DIY work around the house here goes in cycles. I have many unfinished projects.

Cyndy said...

Bowie Living is an excellent name for your blog because it has so many Bowie-centric photos and anecdotes. I felt like I needed a little bit of snark tucked into my blog name, for various reasons. I guess I'm just not a very nice person. One of the first titles I thought of was "Waiting for Doug-O" Get it? A dyslexic version of Waiting for Godot. There was a lot of waiting early on for reasons I won't go into now.

It will be fantastic when we are finished. I can't wait!

Nancy said...

test message